Thursday, June 28, 2007

Missionary Spotlight ~ Hugh & Martine Wessel, Proclaiming Christ in France


Hugh and Martine met in 1969 while Hugh was serving in the United States Army in Munich, Germany. They were converted at L’Abri in Switzerland in 1972, and were married by their pastor, Francis Schaeffer, in 1973.

The Wessels have been serving with Mission to the World since 1979. Their initial charge: church planting, evangelism and church renewal. During their second term, the Wessels founded the Marseille Team. In 1989 Hugh was made country director for France, and supervised teams with CoMission in Ukraine. In 1995 Hugh was asked to be European regional director for MTW, giving oversight to church-planting teams, opening new fields, and training missionaries.

Currently, Hugh has moved into a role of consultant for research and development. In addition, he trains French pastors and laypeople in evangelism; gives oversight to French church plants; and preaches, teaches, and lectures throughout France.

Martine has ministered through teaching Sunday school, using their home extensively for hospitality, and leading women’s Bible studies. Martine and Hugh have three adult children: Laurence, Damaris, and Nils.

Please pray for the Wessels as they spread the gospel in France.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi... Thanks for sharing information with us..nice blog..
Cheer


___________________
Jessica
Get 28 movie channels for 3 months free

Unknown said...

I give credit to the discipleship of Hugh & Martine, for "taking me in" and mentoring me when I was a new believer and living in Paris in 1974. Thanks to them and their encouragement to go to L'Abri, I was grounded in the Word and the philosophy God of the Bible. When I came back to the States in 1975, keeping in touch with distant friends was far more difficult than it is today when messages can so easily be sent electronically. I have thought of them many times and hope that this reaches them now. Thank you from the bottom of my heart for ALL that you did for me in my spiritual journey. I appreciate and love you more than my words here can express! (from Mary Rabb Clemens)