Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Gleanings from the Pastor's Perspective: I cannot pray the Lord’s Prayer

The Pastor’s Perspective
“I cannot pray the Lord’s Prayer”
First Published: April 5, 2001


Back in the January edition of the BAIC News (the ministry newsletter of Beginning Again in Christ [BAIC], a prison and aftercare ministry supported by our church), our friend Dr. Sal Pellicano, Executive Director of BAIC quoted this powerful meditation on the Lord’s Prayer that had been passed along to him by a prisoner that he had recently visited. I wanted you to see it too.

"A Few Thoughts on The Lord’s Prayer"

∙ I cannot pray Our, if my faith has no room for others and their need

∙ I cannot pray Who art in heaven, if all my interests and pursuits are in earthly things.

∙ I cannot pray hallowed be thy name, if I am not striving, with God’ s help, to be holy.

∙ I cannot pray Thy kingdom come, if I am unwilling to accept God’s rule in my life.

∙ I cannot pray on earth as it is in heaven unless I am truly ready to give myself to God’s service here and now.

∙ I cannot pray give us this day our daily bread, without expecting honest effort for it, or I would withhold from my neighbor the bread that I receive.

∙ I cannot pray forgive us our trespasses as we forgive those who trespass against us, if I continue to harbor a grudge against anyone.

∙ I cannot pray lead us not into temptation, if I deliberately choose to remain in a situation where I am likely to be tempted.

∙ I cannot pray deliver me from evil, if I am not prepared to fight evil, with my life and my prayer.

∙ I cannot pray Thine is the kingdom, if I am unwilling to obey the King.

∙ I cannot pray Thine is the power and the glory, if I am seeking power for myself and my own glory first.

∙ I cannot pray forever and ever, if I am too anxious about each day’s affairs.

∙ I cannot pray Amen, unless I honestly say, “Cost what it may, this is my prayer.”

Needless to say, after seeing this I was knocked to my knees, thankful for what God is doing in men’s lives, even in prison, humbled at the spiritual progress of this brother, especially when I contemplate the advantages given me by the Lord, and desirous that our congregation would catch such a spiritual vision of discipleship.

Your friend,


Ligon Duncan

No comments: